Wednesday, April 13, 2011

April Showers...

Sunday night around midnight, Tom and I jumped up out of bed when we heard the sound of golf balls hitting our windows. Well, golf ball-sized hail, that is. It was so loud and, quite frankly, scary. Tom yelled to me over all of the noise to start chucking things out of the closet under the stairs and he was going to get Micah from upstairs.

Vacuum cleaners (yes, I have two), suit cases, folding chairs and all kinds of things were hurled into the hallway. Tom came down running with Micah firmly in his arms. We hunkered down and rode out the storm. Micah was a super trooper. He opened his eyes for barely 10 seconds before he was out cold again snuggled up against his daddy. I grabbed the computer and watched the radar. The electricity went off and on several times over the next hour. Around 1am things got really quiet, so we climbed out of the closet and went back to bed.


Before I got back in bed, though, I had to see the damage outside. I first went out onto our back patio and noticed several large limbs were down on the Corps of Engineers land adjacent to our property and patio furniture and outside toys were everywhere. There were thousands of leaves plastered to our house and windows and thousands more that were knocked to the ground. Then, I went into the front yard and noticed that our neighbor's fence was blown completely to the ground.


On my way to work the following morning, I took these pictures in our neighborhood...


[Our neighbor's fence]



[The fence around the playground at Micah's school]


[Young trees snapped like twigs]


[Notice the 3 blue posts to the right of the picture that were originally holding up this sign]


Through it all, we seem to have been pretty lucky. We don't have any visible damage to our house or property. An insurance adjuster will be out in a few days just to make sure though.

No comments: