Sunday, July 6, 2008

Live Birth Video

As we began our second child birth class, we were instructed to tell how our week had progressed and if there was any exciting news. Tom and I by far had the most interesting story about the pre-term later. But, by no means do we want to be the talk of the class next week. During the breaks everyone was coming up to me to ask how it felt and all the awful details of the 27th. I suppose it was good to talk about it. I think sharing the story helped calm my nerves a little. The more people I've told, the more people come out and say, "Oh, that happened to me with my first." That makes things a little more reassuring.

After the second break in class, we came back to a room with the lights dimmed and everyone had just made a fresh plate of snacks to munch on during the movie. It was the movie Tom had heard horror stories about. A co-worker warned him to excuse himself from the room to avoid watching the video. Another of his friends told him to stay out of "red zone". The ever dreaded video of the live birth was about to begin. I looked at Tom, and he looked at me and said, "I can do this." And he did. Honestly, the video wasn't that bad. I think the version we watched was toned down quite a bit from what everyone else says they've seen. Tom did mention that the movie would have been better if it were Pamela Anderson giving birth rather than a Skeletor look alike. Figures.

A couple interesting facts I learned in class: The number of mothers requesting an epidural at the Littleton hospital, where I will deliver, is around 90%. The number of mothers requesting an epidural at the Boulder, the land of the hippies with way too much money, hospital is somewhere around 15%.

No comments: