Monday, June 14, 2010

Day 5 Palo Verde National Park

On Thursday (Day 5), we left the resort to ride down the river in this little boat to see some of the native wild life. We saw crocodiles, howling monkeys, iguanas, cows, bats and exotic birds.
But, before we got to this lovely boat, we had to endure an hour long bus ride through the middle of nowhere. And when I say the middle of nowhere, I mean nowhere. They didn't even have paved roads much less decent gravel roads. The rain the previous night left large gaping holes in the road, and our driver would swerve from left to right along the path to avoid the bumps when possible. I was very thankful to get to this boat!



Micah lasted about 10 minutes in the life jacket. I felt bad for him since it looked like it was choking him, and I let him free.


Looking closely at the bark of this tree, you will see a brown line down the center of the trunk. Just to the right of that brown line is a line of 9 bats hanging out.







Here are two baby crocodiles hanging out just at the edge of the water. The one at the top of the photo is a couple months old. The croc toward the bottom of the photo is about 3-4 weeks old.

This is a howling monkey. The tour guide said it was likely an outcast from the rest of the monkeys since it was alone. It was probably banished from the crowd due to a disease of some sorts. (So sad looking too)

That's an 8 foot croc hanging out just at the edge of the water soaking up the sun for energy and waiting on a snack to come running down for a drink of water.

An exotic bird...



An iguana with its original tail.


A cow.

This video shows how an old sugar cane press worked back in the old days.


Micah riding the bull that was running the sugar cane press. See, I told you he loves to ride animals.

No comments: